Thursday, July 28, 2011

Welcome to Atlanta where the Players Play

And by "players", I mean my Mom and I of course. Indeed, we headed down to Atlanta, the closest Mexican Consulate,to get my Visa to work in Mexico and to frolick around on a Monday while the rest of society was off being productive. On the way down, we stopped at a Waffle House so that my mom could explore the intricacies of the American breakfast and to develop a better understanding of the WF tradition of hashbrown ordering..it was a hoot. I expect that it was my last big "American style" breakfast this year. 

Grand Slam Breakfast..shoutout to Brittanny O'Meara who doesn't like many foods but fully endorses Waffle House as a culinary gem.

Besides the fact that it was much more crowded than expected at the consulate, nothing interesting really happened there but our ATL adventures more than made up for it. As we waited for my Visa to be processed, we headed down to Lenox Square and spend more money than budgeted on some sweet Nine West shoes and then had lunch, which is really the point of this post and a step towards goal #1 from my first post.

Mexican Consulate in Atlanta

We met up with my cousin, Orlando, whom we call Tito, at Casa Vieja, a Colombian restaurant pretty close to the mall. Since there is no such option in Tennessee, we take the chance to eat at these places whenever possible and this time was no different. We ordered up some empanadas and a Bandeja Paisa (Paisa region Platter) for madre and I to split. Daily intake of this platter would surely result in some kind of heart attack, but we had already gone all out with the Waffle House so we decided to just finish the day with no regrets.


Our Bandeja Paisa included: Red Beans, White Rice, Chorizo, Arepa, Steak, Fried egg , Chicharron (frid pork rind),  fried plantains, avocado slice

The trip ended wonderfully with me finally getting my Visa, 2 new pairs of shoes and 2 cultured meals (yea that's right, I said it,  Waffle House is cultured).


Since we'll spend the rest of the year celebrating Mexico, let's celebrate Colombia right quick. First, because of the wonderful meal I just mentioned but also because Joe Arroyo, internationally loved Colombian Salsero, passed away this week and he was a HUGE part of the Villamizar household..CANDELA

No comments:

Post a Comment